a democratic magic: the gathering format
Playing Archon in Tournaments
- 1.1 Archon is a variant of the official Commander format by Wizards of the Coast. Archon games use the normal rules for the Commander variant as described in the Magic: The Gathering Comprehensive Rules under rule 903 with the following modifications.
- 1.2 An Archon game is a two-player game.
- 1.3 In an Archon game, each player’s starting life total is 20.
- 1.4 Archon games do not use the state-based action described in rule 704.5.v of the Comprehensive Rules, which causes a player to lose the game if they’ve been dealt 21 or more combat damage by a commander.
- 1.5 Archon does use a sideboard as described in Rule 100.4 of the Comprehensive Rules with the following modifications.
- (a) The sideboard must only include cards with the keyword Companion
- (b) The sideboard may include up to 1 card.
While Archon is not a sanctioned format, it is designed to be played in tournaments. We recommend to play with the following set of rules:
- 2.1 Archon tournaments follow the Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic Infraction Procedure Guide (both documents can be found here) and should be handled like a Vintage tournament, with the following exceptions.
- 2.2 Players have to mark their designated commander(s) on their decklist and are not allowed to designate other cards as there commanders(s) for the first game of each match.
- 2.3 A player failing to reveal at a proper time his or her commander(s) falls under point 3.7 Tournament Error — Communication Policy Violation of the Magic Infraction Procedure Guide.