- 1.1 Archon is a variant of the official Commander format by Wizards of the Coast. Archon games use the normal rules for the Commander variant as described in the Magic: The Gathering Comprehensive Rules under rule 903 with the following modifications.
- 1.2 An Archon game is a two-player game.
- 1.3 In an Archon game, each player’s starting life total is 20.
- 1.4 Archon games do not use the state-based action described in rule 704.5.v of the Comprehensive Rules, which causes a player to lose the game if they’ve been dealt 21 or more combat damage by a commander.
- 1.5 Archon uses a sideboard as described in Rule 100.4 of the Comprehensive Rules with the following modifications.
- (a) You may only have up to one card in your sideboard if it is your Companion.
- (b) This card may not enter the game unless it is through its Companion ability.
While Archon is not a sanctioned format, it is designed to be played in tournaments. We recommend Tournament Organisers to use the following set of rule:
- 2.1 Archon tournaments follow the Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic Infraction Procedure Guide (both documents can be found here) and should be handled like a Vintage tournament, with the exceptions specified in rules 2.2 and 2.3.
- 2.2 Players have to mark their designated commander(s) on their decklist and are not allowed to designate other cards as there commanders(s) for the first game of each match.
- 2.3 Failing to reveal a commander at the proper time falls under point 3.7 “Tournament Error — Communication Policy Violation” of the Magic Infraction Procedure Guide.